How To Apply For The KZN Floods SRD Grant?

Those affected by the KZN floods may apply for a Social Relief of Distress Grant (SRD) for Disaster. If you have been affected by the recent floods in KZN or know someone who has been affected, check the details below and apply or let them know about this form of assistance from the government.

Massive floods caused by torrential rain in KwaZulu-Natal have resulted in more than 400 deaths and left countless people extremely vulnerable. The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) will be providing relief to citizens impacted by the floods in the province.

Social Relief of Distress (SRD) is an emergency type of relief that provides relief to citizens facing several circumstances.

This includes providing relief if an applicant has been affected by a disaster defined in the Disaster Management Act or the FundRaising Act, 1978. The floods in KZN constitute this and will result in people receiving relief from Sassa.

This relief will be provided to citizens through food vouchers and school clothing for learners who lost their uniforms due to the floods.

How Long Will The SRD Be Provided? The relief will only be provided for one month.

This is because Sassa expects that people’s lives will normalise, and they will be able to meet their basic needs once again.

However, other forms of SRD, including the R350 Social Relief of Distress grant, will still be available for people experiencing challenges.

What is Sassa SRD Grant for Disaster?

The Free State Social Development website describes the Social Relief of Distress Grant as follows: Social relief of distress is the temporary provision of assistance intended for persons in such a dire material need that they cannot meet their families’ most basic needs.

Who can get Sassa SRD Grant for Disaster?

You can get social relief from distress from the government if you are in a crisis situation. This could be due to the following factors:
  • You need help while you wait for the children’s grants to be processed by the government.
  • A crisis or disaster has occurred (e.g. your house has burnt down).
  • You do not qualify for a grant, and you are in a desperate situation.
  • You cannot work because you are medically unfit – this means you have been sick for less than six months.
  • You cannot get maintenance from the other parent of the child or children.
  • The breadwinner in the family has died.
  • The breadwinner has been sent to prison for a short time (less than six months).
  • You have been affected by a disaster, but the area or community you live in has not been declared a disaster area. What do you get?

What is provided during a crisis or disaster?

Social Relief of Distress is provided for a short time only – usually for up to three months and sometimes for six months. The Social Relief of Distress may be a food parcel or a voucher to buy food. Some provinces give this assistance in the form of cash.

On their Twitter page, Sassa announced that they have measures in place to assist those affected by the KZN floods.

They also posted a poster which explains how to apply for this Relief of Distress Grant for Disaster.
Social Relief of Distress Grant for Disaster (English Pamphlet)

Who can apply for this grant?

Those affected by a crisis or disaster cannot meet their family's's basic needs.

Which SRD is provided by SASSA during a crisis or disaster?

Sassa provides food vouchers at the value of R1200 per family.

R3960 food voucher or cash to the family with deceased family members due to disaster.

School uniform is provided to learners who lost uniform during a disaster where girls get a value of R2700 and boys the value of R2500.

How to apply for the food voucher?

You must submit your details to the ward councillor at your nearest municipality or the social worker.
How long does it take t to receive assistance?

It is expected to be received within a month or just one month as the assistance needed is a matter of urgency.

Post a Comment